NB ALWAYS check the manufacturers instructions - some products need special care and manufacturers warranties may be void if you do not following their instructions.
Modern nappies are easy to use and wash. You will soon find your own routine, but here are some simple do's & don'ts:
Using your nappies:
- Cotton and Bamboo needs several pre-washes to become fully absorbent, usually 6-8. You can put them in with other laundry to do this and save water and energy, or accept that you may need to change them more frequently until they have reached fully absorbency. Microfibre just needs a wash to remove any residue from manufacturing before use.
- Have your nappies ready-to-go on the changing table/in the changing bag -many people find "assembling" their nappies therapeutic and do it whilst watching TV.
- If you are using a nappy rash cream a liner must be used, or else the cream will reduce the absorbency of the nappy
How to wash your nappies:
- Knock, shake or scrape off solids into the toilet.
- Separate any liners, boosters or pocket nappy inserts from the nappy outer -not necessary with Smartipants Pocket Nappy
- Place in a dry pail or wet bag until you have a full load for the washing machine.
- Wash on a 40º cycle with 1/2 dose of non-biological detergent. Some nappies can be washed up to 60º.
- Some manufacturer's warranties are void if you use products with enzymes and bleach, or vinegar.
- Don't use fabric softeners or conditioners, these reduce absorbency.
- Line dry nappies where possible, sunlight will help remove staining.
- Do not place nappy outers on radiators.
- Most brands of nappy outers can withstand occasional tumble drying on low but repeated use will shorten their lifespan.
- ALWAYS check with the manufacturers instructions if you are unsure.
- For very "messy No 2s" I blast the nappy with the shower head into a bucket to remove as much as possible, then pour it into the toilet.
Washable Nappies - Cloth Nappies - Real Nappies - Rumparooz - Smartipants - Smart-fit Wrap - Tots Bots, EasyFit, Bamboozle Stretch, Flexitot - Nature Babies, Big Softie, Bambini, Washable Wipes, Liners, Boosters, Wraps - Close Parent Pop In, Pop-In - GroVia, All-In-One AIO, Hybrid AI2, Wetbags, Pail liners